Thursday, July 12, 2007

Matthew and Hannah started swimming lessons this week. Even though Matthew is 5, he is taking parent and tot with Hannah. The first time he took it 2 years ago, he was terrified and wouldn't get his face wet. Last summer, I was "bad mommy" and got them signed up too late. Tonight, he was floating on the noodle, kicking with his feet, and scooping with his hands in some awkward doggy paddle/freestyle combination that was fun to watch. He did so well, that he is going to start level 1 lessons next week. He is growing up so quickly it is hard to believe.

Hannah loves to jump into the pool and be caught at the last possible moment before her head would go under the water. Just listening to her giggle made me smile. On the other hand, when she does her back floats, she bends in half like a taco, and it is hard to get her to put her head back, even with my hand underneath it. There is a slide there, and she got out of the water to go down the slide, then started to cry because she was so cold. She climbed the stairs, then shot out the bottom like a cannonball. I was worried that I wouldn't catch her, but I did. After that, she wanted to get out of the pool as fast as she could. She is not as bad as Matthew was with his first lessons, but I think that she will need at least one more year of parent and tot before she is ready for level 1. I suppose that is a good thing - Hannah is still my little bird.

No comments: